Thursday, June 17, 2010

Before We Knew the Gender

Along the way, before we knew the gender of our little one, I couldn't resist sewing here and there. You see, I come from a long line of seamstresses and it just seems natural to sew.

I started years ago with little quilts to hang on my mother and grandmother's walls. When I stopped working after Noah was born, I quickly picked it back up, this time choosing to sew diaperbags and purses. And then one day, when Noah was about 22 months, I had to have a pair of shorts for him. The trouble was, they were sold out and I couldn't even win them on ebay! So what is a sewing mama supposed to do, but go out and find some fabric and make the child a pair. After that, I knew that I had found something that I wanted to do for a long time. I loved sewing for little boys. In fact, I started doing it well enough that I was able to sell boutique boys fashions on ebay. I sewed for 5 years straight until this past December, making lots of friends along the way. I enjoyed every minute of it, that is, until my 1st trimester.

I decided to take it easy and just sew for fun. I was tired a LOT and that doesn't make for happy sewing. Around February, I started to feel much better and needed to make something to keep me busy. I decided to sew for both genders and just have fun!

The first thing I did was a little 2 pc set, based on one of my favorite PRR prints. PRR stands for Painting Red Rhinos, a children's clothing company that has went out of business now. I purchased overruns of their fabrics and thankfully saved some.

I don't remember which pattern this was from, but it was a big 3, McCalls, Butterick, Simplicity, one of those. As usual it looks to run HUGE and really needs to be taken in some, that is one my list of to-dos! I hope to do a whole layette based on this fabric. I love the colors!

Next, I decided to do something for a little girl. I picked a Baby Nay elephant knit w/matching stripes and solids, a set out of Ottobre and went to tracing. The issue was 5/2006, I modified the 1.Body and cut it shorter to make a tee length and then did 3.Baby's Knit Skirted Pants. The diaper is from the Darling Diapers pattern. It was my 1st try, but I think it turned out pretty okay. I digitized an elephant and embroidered it on the bum. The outter layer is PUL, the hidden is terry and the inner is suedecloth.

My next attempt, wool interlock soakers. Those will have to wait until tomorrow morning. My 16 yr old is not so patiently waiting for the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment